Saturday 19 May 2012

Hotel Review : Hotel Ambassador, Zurich, Switzerland

Everything is expensive in Zurich and it is difficult to find value in this Swiss city. From eating out to hotel rates to even bottled water, you pay top dollar for them all. So when I was faced with having to book a hotel for a 3 day trip to Zurich, options were limited and expensive. I usually avoid business hotels since they are always fully booked and too pricey for the too little they offer. Apart from their generic look, they share another aspect : you never feel genuinely comfortable in them.

I was looking for hotels around Opera House in the city centre which would also offer good connectivity to Zurich airport. All options were eye wateringly expensive and Ambassador Hotel popped up as the most reasonable option with rooms priced in CHF 250-350 range. In any other city this kind of money would get you a 5 star hotel but in pricey Zurich, 4 star luxury is the best it can buy and I promptly booked it. The location is hard to beat. Zurich airport is 16 minutes away from the nearest train station, Stadelhofen which is a mere 5 minutes walk from the hotel. Ambassador Hotel is easily accessible from tram as well towards 'Opernhaus' stop. From the moment I walked into the hotel, I got a good vibe. I am usually very sceptical of European hotels since I believe hospitality is an experience best enjoyed in Asia. The check-in was smooth and I was promptly showed to my room on the top floor. The hotel is housed in a classic five storey vintage building and a compact lift unable to accommodate more than 2 guests is available to ferry you up and down. Do note none of the standard hotel facilities like fitness centre, swimming pool are available at the Ambassador.

The hotel is located at an intersection and on one side faces its sister hotel 'Opera' across the street. In some people's opinion the hotel may lack character what with its small reception area and lack of common spaces. All rooms are of different sizes and shapes and you are well advised to enquire about the exact room you'd be occupying. My room, though small by Asian standards, was of a comfortable size and the attached bathroom was decent. Swiss city hotels are typically no-frills and the best you can expect is a coffee maker which is duly provided. A pleasant positive was the free wifi which is strangely compatible only with laptops. If you are carrying an Ipad, expect to face some issues. The bed was comfortable and my only complaint with the room was paucity of storage space. If you have a few clothes to hang, then it is a problem. Upon check-in I had been handed a 25% discount voucher for use at the hotel's award winning restaurant also called 'Opera'. Seeing it crowded during my stay, I had full intentions of dining there but unfortunately it did not happen. It is famous for its fish dishes and I do intend to try it on my next visit.

Buffet breakfast is not included in the room rate and at CHF 28 is expensive for the nominal spread on offer. There is no live cooking station which means you cannot have anything cooked to your taste. I'd recommend you skip the hotel breakfast and grab a bite at any of the numerous cafes around the hotel. I highly recommend 'Tidbits' which is located a mere 2 minutes away from the hotel. Ambassador's front office staff doubles up as concierge and are very friendly, polite and helpful. They gave me useful tips on what to see, how to get around and convinced me in buying a 24 hour Zurich Card. Must say it was the sanest piece of advice I received since the Card includes unlimited train and tram travel including a return ride to the airport, complimentary entrance to museums and a short cruise on the Limmat lake. All for CHF 20. If you wish, a 72 hour Zurich Card is also available for CHF 40. The front desk staff also recommended a trip to Uetliberg for panaromic views of Zurich city and lake of Zurich which was well worth my time and I highly recommend you make that trip as well.

Overall, the Ambassador satisfies with its comfortable rooms, polite staff and unbeatable location. It is a short walk to the Limmat lake front and a 20 minutes easy walk to Bahnofstrasse, Zurich's upmarket shopping enclave. However, if you are expecting blissful luxury of the pampering kind this is not the place for you. But then, Zurich is not a holiday spot to begin with. It is a business centre and most hotels are geared to service business travelers. I'd recommend this hotel primarily for its location apart from comfortable basic rooms. Remember to skip the breakfast and you'll be fine. If there is value to be found in Zurich, this is it.

P.S. I came across a website (among a host of others) that offers tips and recommendations for the budget conscious Swiss traveller. Check it out http://www.myswissalps.com/en/hotelszurich.aspx 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your review! You convinced me of adding the Ambassador to our page with hotels in downtown Zurich.

    ReplyDelete